And to a great extent, that is true. You should let your loved one know early and often how much you care. However, if you start saying “I love you” the same way all the time, those words lose their luster.
There is a delicate balance you need to perform between frequent affirmations of your love and turning the expression of it into a boring habit. Don’t let your method of telling your lover of your feelings become a predictable rut. Finding new ways to say “I love you” can be an important part of keeping the magic of those words alive.
Here are a few suggestions for ten clever and cute ways to say “I love you” to your partner that will have him thinking you’re the best girlfriend ever.
WRITE IT DOWN
1. Send a love letter – While the sound of your voice has its own magic powers, something about the written word makes it powerful as well: it has a permanence to it, and it can be read over and over again. Sending love notes is especially helpful to send the message of love during those times when the two of you are not together. It is a special token that your lover can look at when he needs that little reminder of you.
Note: while a quick text message that says “I love you” is always nice, a note written in your hand, slipped in his briefcase, lunch, or pocket to discover later, provides a more intimate touch.
2. Write it in the sand – While the permanence of a written note is part of its charm, a love note quickly scrawled on the beach or in the snow, or on a frosted window pane can be special precisely because the medium is so fleeting and ethereal. As the tide washes it over, or as the snow blows away your words, you can imagine the elements absorbing your message of love and taking it back to the sea or being absorbed back into the universe as it melts away.
3. Say “I love you” when he is not expecting it – If you are in the habit of saying “I love you” as part of the same daily rituals – as you say goodbye in the morning, or just before you go to bed, or at the end of every phone call, or when you are finished making love, then those may not be the times when saying “I love you” carries the greatest impact.
One caveat, however: if not saying it at those moments leads to consternation and feelings of neglect, by all means continue to do so – just make sure to sprinkle the love at other times of the day when his mind is elsewhere – to make sure that you bring his mind back to you.
When you are at dinner with friends, or family, or even his co-workers, lean over casually and secretly whisper “I love you” into his ear, or look across the table at him, wink and mouth it silently, then go back and continue your conversation with his mom about her apple pie recipe. If your habit is to wait until after lovemaking to say it, try whispering it to him during sex.
4. Put words of love in unexpected places – Make heart shaped pancakes, or spell out “I love you” in the maple syrup. Putting words of love in his food so that love will go to his stomach as well as his heart.
5. Send him flowers – Flowers don’t only have to be for the ladies. They may not admit it, but the gents often love the gesture of beautiful roses as well. You don’t have to go overboard and send a whole bouquet, maybe just a single rose. Or daisies picked from your garden or favorite forest picnic spot.
6. Share a photo – It could be a selfie, or a photo of the two of you, or it could be a picture of his dog, as long as it’s an image that makes you think of how happy it makes you. It will remind him of how much he desires you, too.
SHOW HIM, DON’T TELL HIM
Actions speak louder than words, as the old adage goes. Your actions will say so much more about your love for him than all the pretty words in the world could ever do. So do some things that show him you care.
7. Make him breakfast in bed – Again, make the element of surprise work for you. If he always expects you to make breakfast for him, then this is more of a chore than a symbol of love (unless, however, you always make cereal and coffee, but today you make waffles and bacon with a single rose in a vase), something that makes this breakfast more special than the everyday fare.
8. Buy him little gifts – Don’t save the gifts just for holidays, birthdays, anniversaries or Valentine’s Day; although, Valentine’s Day is a perfect time to shower your man with love. Getting him his favorite treats or a pair of silk boxers on a Thursday is a cute way to say “I love you” and lets him know you are thinking of him every day.
. Give him plenty of physical affection – The best way to say “I love you” is to love him. Holding hands, kissing, cuddling, and other signs of physical affection, even without the words, tells him that you want and desire him. And it doesn’t necessarily have to lead to sex, either, which is one of the reasons cuddling can be so intimate.
10. Give him your time – The best gift of all is the gift of you. Nothing says “I love you” more than being with each other and choosing to spend your time with each other.
It is easy to say “I love you” in all sorts of cute and clever ways that can keep the feelings you have for him fresh and exciting, without having to spend a lot of money or going to extravagant lengths to tell him you care. The message of your love remains constant: it’s just the medium that changes in order to keep it fresh and exciting.