You can sometimes find really great nuggets of advice for your marriage in a quote. And we aim to help you do just that by providing some useful marriage quotes here. The quotes about marriage you’ll read might inspire you in your own marriage.
Not all these quotes about marriage will apply to you, but we hope that some will really hit home. Here are 12 different marriage quotes and how you can apply them to your marriage:
1. “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” —Mignon McLaughlin
Falling in love is the easy part. Staying in love, the main ingredient for a happy marriage, isn’t always as effortless. The newlywed era, which usually lasts one to two years, eventually ends. Read more about relationship stages. But that doesn’t mean the end of the marriage.
This marriage quote helps explain that your love morphs into a different kind of love. Instead of a passionate love, your love becomes a compassionate one. And this is actually a good thing. Just think what would happen if you never left the passionate, new love stage: You wouldn’t have the time or energy for much else in your life. So you adapt, and you’re happy to fall and stay in love with the same person who shares his life with yours.
2. “Love doesn’t just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made, like bread; remade all the time, made new.” —Ursula K. Le Guin
One thing that keeps marriages alive is unpredictability, which is what this marriage quote is about. Sharing new experiences together makes the marriage more exciting and leads to better marital satisfaction. It’s like a quote from the movie, Annie Hall: “A relationship, I think, is like a shark. You know? It has to constantly move forward or it dies.” New relationships are exciting because you’re both getting to know each other. Once you do know each other, keep the excitement by adding unpredictability.
3. “A great marriage is not when the ‘perfect couple’ comes together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.” —Dave Meurer
You didn’t marry a clone of yourself. Your spouse is different from you. Instead of trying to mold him into what you desire, this marriage quote gets you to try to celebrate his differences instead. In a healthy marriage, both partners complement and complete each other. Take the time to understand your husband’s viewpoint on issues, and he can take the time to understand yours. It’s OK if you don’t agree on everything or if he’s an introvert and you’re an extrovert. The key is to respect your partner.
4. “When marrying, ask yourself this question: Do you believe that you will be able to converse well with this person into your old age?” —Friedrich Nietzsche
One way we connect with one another is through conversation, which is what this marriage quote stresses. And having regular conversations with your spouse makes the two of you closer. Many times, people in marriages have affairs when they feel lonely in the marriage. And they feel lonely because the conversation has ended, so they seek that connection elsewhere.
It’s important to make time to converse with each other about all sorts of things, whether they’re how you feel about current events or your deepest intimate feelings. Check out this post for ideas to get the conversation started.
5. “The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds.” —Nicholas Sparks
This marriage quote highlights the fact that in a great marriage, the two of you are teammates who wish the best for each other. You strive to bring out the best in each other with the knowledge that you are there for each other in case anything bad happens. You are stronger together than you are apart, whether that means fulfilling career goals or helping with personal or spiritual growth.
6. “Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get—only with what you are expecting to give—which is everything.”
Marrying for money or to achieve a certain status probably won’t be sustainable. In a strong marriage, both partners wish to give 100 percent of themselves to the other partner. It doesn’t work to have the mindset that you did this for him, and now he needs to do that for you. That’s keeping score and doing things for the wrong reasons. Give to your partner, and freely welcome what he gives to you.
7. “Never love anyone who treats you like you’re ordinary.” —Oscar Wilde
You shouldn’t take your spouse for granted, and he shouldn’t do that with you, either. When you go out to a party, for example, he should make you feel like the most beautiful woman in the room. And you should be happy and proud to be with your man. Making each other feel special is uplifting and is something you both will appreciate. Tips on that here.
8. “Think not because you are now wed, that all your courtship’s at an end.” —Antonio Hurtado de Mendoza
So many couples get married and then never date again. But it’s important to make date night a regular occurrence after you’re married. Sure, it’s not for the same purpose of getting to know someone in contemplation of marriage. It’s to rekindle the flame you had when you were dating, to help you recharge, to get away from the routine of daily life, and to recognize and celebrate the love you have for each other.
9. “And think not that you can direct the course of love, for love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course.” —Khalil Gibran
You might have planned your life: have two children by the time you’re 35 and live in a house with a white picket fence. Well, life doesn’t always work that way. You might find yourself moving to another country, having more children than planned, or finding yourself in a different financial situation than what you thought it would be. You don’t know what’s in store for your life. Planning is fine, but once you marry, you both need to be flexible and make adjustments in life.
10. “You don’t love someone for their looks, or their clothes or for their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear.” —Oscar Wilde
Love transcends superficialities in this quote about marriage. Sure, you might be attracted to a gorgeous man in a sports car, but if he isn’t the one for you, none of that matters in the long run. It’s great to get opinions from your family and friends on whether they like the man you pick, but ultimately you have to know whether he’s the right one for you.
11. “Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.” —Oprah Winfrey
Many wedding vows contain the phrase “in sickness or in health,” meaning that you promise to stand by each other no matter what happens. In a strong union, according to this quote about marriage, you need to count on each other to be there during adversity.
12. “Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.” —Antoine de Saint-Exupery
No doubt, there is a lot of gazing at each other when you first fall in love. But when that phase ends, if you feel connected, you work together to succeed. This quote about marriage applies to raising a family, moving forward with your career, or growing in life. You and your spouse are a couple, and that gives you strength to succeed and to work toward making your dreams a reality.
We hope that some of these marriage quotes have inspired you to do something positive for your marriage. Although not all the quotes will apply to everyone, we hope that some of these marriage quotes are relevant for you.