Why do so many people stay in bad relationships? Sometimes people stay for money or status, but there has to be a reason that so many couples stay together despite their misery. Could it be that ending a relationship seems more difficult than keeping the status quo?
If you’re confident that your relationship is hurtling toward destruction, keep reading to learn how to end the relationship.
HOW TO END A RELATIONSHIP THE WRONG WAY
Before we tell you how to end a relationship in a way that reduces pain and drama, we want you to heed this warning. There are a few things you definitely shouldn’t do when it comes to ending your relationship.
- Threatening to end the relationship: You don’t want to be the woman who cried wolf by threatening to leave multiple times. You should only use these words when you actually plan to leave the relationship. Otherwise, your man will know you don’t plan to act on your words, and nothing will change.
- Leaving out of the blue: It might seem easier to leave without talking to your boyfriend or husband, but it’s not necessarily right. Unless you have a reason for keeping it a secret, you should be honest with him.
- Ghosting: Like the above, this mistake stems from doing what’s easy and not what’s right. However, ghosting leaves someone wondering what they did wrong and if they could have changed things. The truth may be that they did nothing wrong or that nothing would have changed your mind, but you need to give them the courtesy of being forthright with them.
Now, you can learn what you should do when ending a relationship.
HOW TO END A RELATIONSHIP
Most people agree that you should tell your soon-to-be-ex in person. It’s more polite and thoughtful than simply sending a text or even ghosting. However, there may be some times when this isn’t possible or advisable, including when:
- You’re in a long-distance relationship
- He may become violent
Some people also agree that you can end a relationship by a phone call when you’ve been seeing each other for less than three weeks, and texting him may be okay if that’s your primary method of communication.
Use your feelings are a barometer. How would you prefer to be broken up with at this point in your relationship? Use our tips for rejecting a guy to make the whole thing go smoothly.
No matter how you decide to end the relationship, you’ll want to talk to your soon-to-be-ex before you tell anyone else. It shouldn’t be common knowledge to everyone else that your relationship will soon be over if your man has no clue. This leads us to our next point.
HAVE YOU DONE EVERYTHING TO FIX YOUR RELATIONSHIP?
Although there are some times when you should absolutely leave your relationship, such as when he’s physically or emotionally abusive, many relationships can be saved. Your man is especially likely to object to the break if it surprises him. If you’ve never voiced your unhappiness or issues with the relationship, then he’s bound to be surprised and hurt.
He may not have picked up on your unhappiness or the unhealthiness of your relationship (Find out the 6 signs of an unhealthy relationship), especially if he’s blissfully unaware or lacks a healthy example of relationships in his life.
We have a number of articles on the Princess Fantasy that can help fix and even salvage your relationship if it’s currently in trouble. Check them out below.
- Fix Your Relationship: Understanding Intimacy Issues
- 8 Things You Must Do to Save Your Relationship
- How to Save a Relationship in 10 Steps
Aside from this advice, you’ll want to consider other things that may be affecting your relationship, such as stress from work or how often you have sex.